1 the act of installing something (as equipment); "the telephone installation took only a few minutes" [syn: installing, installment, instalment]
2 a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry; "the assembly plant is an enormous facility" [syn: facility]
3 a formal entry into an organization or position or office; "his initiation into the club"; "he was ordered to report for induction into the army"; "he gave a speech as part of his installation into the hall of fame" [syn: initiation, induction]
- The act of installing or giving possession of an office, rank, or order, with the usual rites or ceremonies; as, the installation of an ordained minister in a parish.
- The whole of a system of machines, apparatus, and accessories, when set up and arranged for practical working, as in electric lighting, transmission of power, etc.
- A grouping of facilities that constitute a permanent military base
system of machines
Installation can be used to refer to:
- Installation (computer programs), the act and the effect of putting a program in a computer system to be run.
- Installation (mobile applications), the act and the effect of putting an application in a mobile phone system to be run.
- The ceremony or process of placing a person into an office or position of dignity. Commonly used to refer to the ceremony in Freemasonry of elevating a Master Mason to be Worshipful Master (leader) of the Lodge.
- Installation art, art that, through the use of sculptural materials and other media, seeks to modify the way we experience a particular space
- Install (equipment), to place, position, or fit into a position and then to connect, change, or modify in such a manner as to bring (the equipment) into service. For example to install a radio transmitter in a vehicle or to install an office intercom.
- Install, 2004 movie starring Japanese actress Aya Ueto
- A military base may be known as an installation
installation in German: Installation
installation in Spanish: Instalación
installation in French: Installation
installation in Korean: 설치
installation in Italian: Installazione
installation in Russian: Инсталляция
installation in Finnish: Asennus
accedence, acceptance, accession, accouterments, admission, admittance, agency, anchorage, apostolic orders, apparatus, appliances, appointment, appointments, appurtenances, armament, atelier, baptism, barbershop, base, beauty parlor, beauty shop, bench, butcher shop, calling, camp, canonization, colonization, coming out, company, concern, conferment, connection, consecration, constitution, conveniences, coronation, corporation, crowning, curtain raiser, debut, depot, desk, duffel, effectuation, election, embarkation, embarkment, enlistment, enrollment, enthronement, equipage, equipment, establishment, facilities, facility, firm, first appearance, fitting, fittings, fixation, fixtures, floating, flotation, formation, foundation, furnishings, furniture, gear, holy orders, house, immission, impedimenta, inaugural, inaugural address, inauguration, inception, induction, initiation, installations, installment, instatement, institution, introduction, intromission, investiture, kit, launching, lodgment, loft, machinery, maiden speech, major orders, materialization, materiel, minor orders, mooring, munition, munitions, nomination, opener, ordainment, orders, ordination, organization, outfit, paraphernalia, parlor, peopling, placement, plant, plantation, plumbing, population, positioning, post, preferment, preliminary, presentation, reading in, realization, rig, rigging, setting-up, settlement, settling, shop, solemnization, station, stock-in-trade, studio, sweatshop, tackle, taking office, things, unveiling, utensils, work site, work space, workbench, workhouse, working space, workplace, workroom, workshop, worktable